Monday, February 21, 2011

February 21, 2011 -Joshua Tree in the cold





















I have stopped counting the number of times I have visited Joshua Tree National Park. I often go back to the same places over in the park again and again. And as familiar as the park is to me, it can look different every time. All these factors play into the experience, including the time of year, weather and time of day. The light changes by the hour. The air was crisp, cold and very still today. Some higher peaks in the park even had snow. On one trail, in a sheltered spot we found a handful of snow hiding in the shadows. Only a few early flowers were peaking out. It was the quietest I had ever experienced the park. No flowers meant no insects, few birds and not the usual rustling sounds one hears at every turn. Very still air and no wind. Without the heat, the park didn't even have the usual warm smells. It was unlike other times I have visited the park but as beautiful as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment