Wednesday, August 3, 2011

August 3, 2011 – Please Do Touch!













You know the rules — you can’t touch art. We’re not supposed to touch even the most durable looking of sculptures. We all have heard about the invisible oils in our fingertips that will ultimately damage anything we dare touch. Yes, I get it. But I still would like to see some art that you are allowed to touch. About 10 years ago I found myself in one of the homes of the Bay Area’s most prominent collector of glass art. He wasn’t around and you know what, I pawed it. I touched all the stuff I’d seen in a special exhibit at the de Young and had a great time doing it. It’s glass, so it’s okay.

My map pieces have always been handmade. Photos rarely can show how tactile they really are. Like most art, it is best seen in person. I have always wanted to create some work that could be finished in a way that would make it durable in order to encourage people to experience the art through touch. I am not suggesting sculpture, but I am interested in making flat, two-dimensional art that is tactile and interesting to touch. As a sighted artist, I also am intrigued by the possibility of creating art that a visually impaired person could appreciate.

With all that in mind, and a nod to Louise Nevelson, for the 2011 Project, a piece of art that is meant to be touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment