Monday, June 20, 2011

June 20, 2011 – White












The series of pieces for 2011 Project are including ones based on specific colors. Technically white is not a color, but I feel it needs it’s own piece as well. It was a bit challenging to determine the right way for me to express white. I could go with the blank canvas or similar minimalist approach. Then there is always the single, faint line of graphite on the piece of white tissue paper. “Sublime,” some of the gallerati might even exclaim. I so roll my eyes when it comes to that sort of silliness. Yesterday I visited the Botanical Garden in Berkeley and had my in inspiration

It was a hot, sunny day up in the Berkeley Hills. The Matilija Poppies were dazzling the way they captured the sunlight. When the sun catches the petals they appear to float like intense bright, pieces of tissue paper (how ironic) in front of a green background. Matilija Poppies have the largest flowers of any native Californian plant. If you think about it, it makes sense that a white flower would really have to put on quite the show to attract pollinators in California. Only the biggest and brightest white would do.

Matilija Poppies are the floral equivalent of bright white bed sheets floating in the breeze on a line of clean laundry. They are the perfect way to express the color white.

No comments:

Post a Comment