Friday, July 22, 2011

July 22, 2011 – Hopper’s Palette












Edward Hopper is one my very favorite painters. He was born on this day in 1888. One of the best ways to celebrate his birthday would be to celebrate his palette. It best might be called the Palette of Calm. So much of Hopper’s work capture’s the light at the early or final part of the day. And, when Hopper painted midday, he usually was painting its stillness. Hopper’s colors always have a calming effect, as do so most of his paintings.

Hopper’s work is often misinterpreted as a representation of loneliness. I never feel that from his work. It’s a feeling of calm and quiet. It’s a waking city, peaceful at 6 a.m. or it is Cape Cod at its best, when it is empty. I always look at the Maine and Cape Cod paintings and see one thing — the off season.

Even though Hopper’s work is ubiquitous in the art calendar and coffee table book world, it is best seen in person. And certain artists’ work really needs to be seen and appreciated in person. Every time I see an Edward Hopper, I am reminded why I visit museums.

No comments:

Post a Comment