Saturday, July 30, 2011

July 30, 2011 – Defenestration













I was a freshman in college taking a class in Eastern European History when I first learned the word defenestration. I love that word. A word dedicated to tossing things out of a window and particular inflexible political leaders. I just don’t ever find occasion to use it. The first of the two defenestrations occurred on this day in 1419 back in Prague. Considering the state of affairs in Washington, it might be a time to teach the Tea Party crowd about defenestration. But I think the history lesson would be lost on the sort of people who can’t even get the basic facts of Paul Revere’s Midnight Ride correct.

I wish I had more opportunity to use the word. This morning I actually defenestrated a set of house keys out my window. And, if I tossed scraps from the 2011 Project out the window, it would look something like today’s piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment