Sunday, December 18, 2011

December 18, 2011 – Mar Azul












I remember when we discovered Cesária Évora in San Francisco back in the 1990’s. I was hearing her wherever I went. It was a time when I was doing a lot of painting. Cesária was the soundtrack I would paint to for hours. I don’t think I was unique. I remember going to open studios back then and you heard her wherever you went. It seemed every artist was playing Cesária Évora. It would be difficult to measure how much art was created to her music in San Francisco at that time. I finally got to see her live, her shows usually sold out months in advance. Even in the soulless cavern of the Masonic Auditorium, she was wonderful. My only regret was not being one of the fortunate ones who saw her back in the 1980’s in some small, smoky, intimate Parisian dive.

No comments:

Post a Comment