Monday, September 12, 2011

September 12, 2011 – Mountain Relief












I’ve always been drawn to relief maps in atlases. This is long before the days of simply going online to look at satellite and street views, etc. (which I also do). The relief view really came into it’s own in the early 1960’s. The 1963 atlas I recently picked up is a perfect example. This was the era of space exploration. When you opened up that atlas it was all about giving you the sense of excitement that John Glenn or Yuri Gagarin felt when they gazed down upon us.

The relief views are exaggerated and at times they almost feel hokey. That is until you drive down Route 550 towards Durango, Colorado. When you’re in those valleys where the mountains truly tower above you, the relief maps make all the more sense. Today, for the 2011 Project, it’s a piece about mountains. For the installation, I think this one will be hung next to my piece about rivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment