Sunday, September 25, 2011

September 25, 2011 – Rothkollages












Mark Rothko is a painter who unexpectedly influenced my collage work. Over the years I kept encountering his work in museums and, I have to confess, I didn’t always quite “get it.” But something was getting me.

In 2001 I started creating collages where the only element used was maps. Over time the pieces evolved. The pieces became more monochromatic and started having less structured patterns. I started using a 3-hole bunch on old maps to generate small dots of map. Then I created pieces where there were nine dots of map per square inch. When looked at closely they are works of with intricate detail. From a distance the detail is lost and the “dot” pieces take on the look of abstract squares and rectangles of color. I had done a few larger pieces when I finally began to recognize Rothko’s influence.

So for a painter, who was born on this day in 1903, a series of little collages made from the scraps from the 2011 Project. Little Rothkos, or if you prefer, Rothkollages.

No comments:

Post a Comment