Monday, September 19, 2011

September 19, 2011 – Workin’ on the Railroads












The first time I came to California, it was on a train. I was with my mom, brother and great grandmother. It was a great adventure. It was back in the 1970’s when an effort was made to bring back rail travel in America via Amtrak. I love traveling by train but it becomes increasingly difficult and more and more expensive in the United States. Even back to my days of traveling around Europe, some of my best memories always go back to the train.

As much as I love trains, the stations themselves are rivals for my affection. No airport can compare with the grandeur and excitement of a big city train station. And I also love the small stations. For example, I usually make a stop in Kelso, California on my desert road trips. The depot is lovingly restored, even though trains no longer make any stops there.

As our economy teeters and millions are out of work, bringing back and modernizing the railroads is such an obvious, yet ignored, solution. A solution that creates jobs, lessens the need for imported oil, and is better for the environment. Creating a world where travel is a more genteel and relaxing experience. And I think of all the interesting people I’ve met over the years traveling by train. You just don’t meet people driving down an interstate. What are we waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment