Sunday, November 6, 2011

November 6, 2011 – Venezia












I have never been to Venice. Even after all the time I spent in Europe, and I’ve never managed to get there (and I’ve always wanted to go). Well, today I visited Venice, well sort of….

The morning started with a walk to Golden Gate Park and then I popped into the de Young to check out the new exhbition titled Masters of Venice. Room after room of 500 year old Venetian art. The work is on loan from the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna. It’s one of those fabulous European Plunder Palaces where much of the collection is essentially, shhhh, stolen. The Titians and the Giorgiones are the real stars and overshadow the rest of the work. It was another example of why I try to see art in person, no book or photo on a website can really capture the glow of a Titian seen close up. One day, hopefully soon, I must get to Venice….

No comments:

Post a Comment