Thursday, December 15, 2011

December 15, 2011 – Snake Plant












The other night I was looking at the snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata) in my window and realized this plant deserved a part in the 2011 Project. The plant is a big one. It’s nearly two feet in circumference and some of leaves reach up to over five feet tall. This is no ordinary houseplant. It’s always been in my front window for 21 years.

Even with a superficial knowledge of feng shui, I still assumed this was a good choice to protect my home. It’s a tough, resilient plant that looks like a bunch of swords. Finally I was curious and did a little more research. My instincts were correct. The origins of the snake plant are in West Africa where it associated with Ogun the Orisha of war. It’s a plant used for protection. It’s also good for the air in your home. NASA even has done research that has shown it is an excellent plant for improving the air quality in a room. Everyone needs a snake plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment