Thursday, August 18, 2011

August 18, 2011 – Tioga Afternoon












"Tioga Afternoon" - mixed media, photo collage, on canvas, 4"x4"

In summertime the quickest way to Mono Lake is straight to Yosemite and then up and over the Tioga Pass. It’s not all that quick and still takes about 6 hours. Not that there is any rush, it is one of my favorite road trips. There are plenty of places to pull off the road along the pass. A wander through Tuolomne Meadows is a requirement for the journey. I’ve done the trip many times and it has inspired more than a few paintings over the years. The timing of the trip means that I always get there for the afternoon light. The way some of the streams glow in that golden light is worth the trip itself.

I grew up with a manual focus, 35mm camera. Never knowing if the picture turned out. Photography included the waiting, the cost to develop film, etc. I always feel a bit like I am cheating with a digital camera. But I don’t regret the device at all. It is the ideal tool for capturing the brilliant mix of light and water on a Tioga afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment