Tuesday, September 27, 2011

September 27, 2011 – Keeper of Arch Rock












Last Saturday we hiked to Arch Rock and back at the Point Reyes National Seashore. I love this hike and do it once or twice every year. The midpoint of the hike includes stopping on top of Arch Rock at the end of the trail. It’s a good place to rest and eat lunch. Sitting on top of the rock, you actually don’t get to see the arch unless you scramble down a poorly maintained trail to the beach. I usually am happy to sit up there and take in the view.

Every time I have been there, I always meet one, just one, single seagull. He stands around as if he is the keeper of the rock. I always find it odd that there is never more than one seagull. I am beginning to wonder if it is the same seagull. If you grew up with Brinton Turkle’s book Thy Friend, Obadiah you’ll understand how I could think it was the same gull time after time living on top of his rock. Maybe it is….

No comments:

Post a Comment