Thursday, September 29, 2011

September 29, 2011 – Meat Art













Can Tofu paint meat? Yes I can. I admit I have what might appear to be complicated issues with meat. Though I know where I stand in the relationship. I was a vegetarian long ago, but I do eat some meat. I rarely have anything resembling a steak. I am just not a fan. But I love meat art and collect it when I can. The other day I was prepping some canvases and I noticed some of the red was just looking so meaty. The 2011 Project needs a piece of meat art.

I think it might all go back to my love of Chaim Soutine. For those of you who don’t know, Soutine was the Lithuanian-born, French expressionist painter best known for painting meat. Soutine would struggle to buy a side of beef and then paint it over and over while it decayed. Crazy and definitely committed to his craft – he was a painter’s painter. His work, meat and non-meat, was brilliant. I first was introduced to the meat as a kid at the Albright-Knox Gallery in Buffalo. I really wish we get something like a big Chaim Soutine show at the de Young. They could even bring in a side of beer and I could paint it during the duration of the exhibit to add a more enhanced experience for the museum going public.

No comments:

Post a Comment