Wednesday, June 29, 2011

June 29, 2011 – Field Guides












Being someone who loves the outdoors and hiking, of course I have a bookshelf full of nature and field guides including some of the distinctively blue Peterson Field Guides. I suspect these might be seen as a quaint collection in a few years. I can already hear young whippersnappers telling me, “There’s an app for that.” One day soon your phone might be able to recognize the image of any plant or animal you show to it. It will recognize the sound and then tell you the name of the bird. You might be trying to get a signal and, I could have told you, that’s a mountain lion that has it’s jaw clamped on your head….

In the meantime, I’ll stick to my old fashioned, field guides. They go with me on road trips and, if not too heavy, maybe in the backpack too. And just in time for summer in San Francisco, a new page not quite out of the Peterson guides, the various fogs of San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment