Wednesday, June 8, 2011

June 8, 2011 – Caverns












I always like a good cavern or cave tour — the colors, the cool, wet air, stalagmites and stalactites. If they make you wear a hard hat, it even feels like more of an adventure. But if it’s serious spelunking, I’ll pass. That’s what PBS and National Geographic are for.

I bought a whole bunch of postcard booklets on my latest Vintage Paper Fair excursion. I really love these things. I even made a series of handmade one-of-a-kind postcard booklets in 2009. One of my latest acquisitions was a postcard booklet from the Caverns of Luray in Virginia.

The postcard booklet used for this piece was mailed in August 1941 to Mrs. Zraleny at her home in Pittsburgh (see below). I was curious – the house still stands on Lotus Way in Pittsburgh (thanks Google Streetview). The surname Zraleny seems to have vanished (it’s not on Goggle). It might be one of those names that was altered and Americanized in the last 70 years.

I have never been to Luray Caverns. I might just need to take a trip to Virginia.


No comments:

Post a Comment