Sunday, October 16, 2011

October 16, 2011 – Magic Carpet












Today’s inspiration for the 2011 Project is the result of a morning walk to the de Young Museum. I took in a new exhibit from their large collection of Anatolian kilim carpets. I love the show for the color palette alone, and I always like the meeting of art and pattern. Kilims are rooted in traditional weaving and textile art that goes back thousands of years. The source and origin of the patterns is uncertain. One of the things I notice as I see various pattern-based art from around the world (baskets, ceramics, textiles, weaving, egg decoration, etc.) is that the same patterns reappear over and over. One begins to suspect that we humans have some built-in, universal patterns that given the opportunity, we utilize in various forms of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment