Saturday, February 12, 2011

February 12, 2011 – Rhubarb





















There is a pile of rhubarb sitting on the counter. Later today it will be chopped up for a pie. Rhubarb Sour Cream Pie to be exact. I really like rhubarb, but for some reason it has become “exotic” in San Francisco and expensive. $5 a pound! I think rhubarb is one of those old-fashioned vegetables that few people make use of in the Bay Area (hence the high price). I grew up with it on the East Coast and was always happy to discover new uses for it on trips to Europe. Few Americans know that rhubarb makes a great yogurt flavor.

Rhubarb is so easy to grow, and if I had a garden I’d grow plenty. It also is a fine looking plant. I suppose I could grow a big pot of it in my sunny bay window. But what would the other plants thing when it gets hacked up for a pie?

No comments:

Post a Comment