Tuesday, February 8, 2011

February 8, 2011 – Purple





















I have nearly 40 pieces completed for the 2011 Project. I realized something is missing. I generally do not make use of pinks and purples. I have nothing against these colors. They just don’t find their way into most of my work. My jar of purple paint tends to last years.

This is the time of the year when I should be inspired to make use of brighter colors. Spring is on the way and California is turning up the saturation. Last week on the way to Point Reyes we found ourselves on that high stretch of Route One between Muir Beach and Stinson Beach. The Farallons were in view to the west, no fog and a deep blue sea. Looking inland, down into the valley, there were bright sections of green and hills with broad patches of magenta wildflowers with Mt. Tam in the distance. I love the colors but that doesn’t mean I paint with them much. Then again, I am a painter who prefers the Monets where he was running out of paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment