Monday, May 2, 2011

May 2, 2011 – Enchilada Casserole












I thought I was so clever when I invented Enchilada Casserole. I decided to create something lasagna-like. I would use tortillas in place of lasagna noodles and enchilada sauce in place of tomato sauce. The cheese would be jack or cheddar instead of mozzarella. I titled my invention “New Mexico Lasagna.” I bragged to my friend Jordan about my invention. Jordan is from New Mexico and informed me that my “invention” was merely Enchilada Casserole. He went on to tell me that every potluck in New Mexico has at least three show up. Okay, I didn’t invent anything new, but what do they day about great minds thinking alike?

In some ways it’s not surprising that this has become a staple in my kitchen. It’s an American classic in a league with many of my favorites like Sloppy Joes, Tuna Casserole, Mac-n-Cheese and that New England “delicacy” American Chop Suey. As today’s art piece is drying and I write this, the pan of Enchilada Casserole is in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment