Sunday, January 16, 2011

January 16, 2011 – An Homage to the Fast Pass






















The MUNI Fast Pass in its color striped with a dash of foil design is no more. The embedded high tech pass on the Clipper Card has as much charm as an ecard. As goofy as it sounds, I used to always have a sense of anticipation when I bought the new pass. What will the colors be for next month? It was kind of like when you turn the page on a wall calendar on the first. It’s probably the only time of the month you might pause and regard the image

There are quite a few artists out there doing work with old Fast Passes. John Kuzich’s work even made it to the de Young (deservedly so). Chronicle Books’ blog has more Fast Pass art. Last year I got these groovy buttons made from the gang at PunkPunk. They feature old Fast Passes. I wear them with pride and  amused when little kids comments on them.  Even they recognize they are Fast Passes. But that won’t be for long.

I think I wouldn’t mind the Clipper Card half as much if the design looked like a good old Fast Pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment