Thursday, January 6, 2011

January 6, 2011 – Los Reyes





















On this day in 1603, so the story goes, Spanish explorer Sebastian Vizacaino sighted the land we know as Point Reyes. He named it for the Feast of the Three Kings on January 6. It became “la Punta de los Reyes" or the Point of the Kings. Sir Francis Drake is believed to have been the first European explorer to visit back in 1579. But he probably saw little of the place. Point Reyes is best in the winter when the fog clears and the rain stops. The light is dazzling. It’s a place that I love year round, but as a painter, the light on a Winter’s afternoon is amazing. Just thinking about it reminds me I need a day trip soon. In the meantime I need to get out my yellow chalk and follow the Polish tradition. Tonight I’ll mark my doorframe with B.M.K.; the initials of the Three Kings. It’s done to let them know they can stop by on the way to Bethlehem and it means they also will bring me some good luck for the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment