Sunday, January 9, 2011

January 8, 2011 – Tactile Art





















When we go look at art and galleries we sometimes have to control our impulses to touch the work. It’s not always easy, and we’ve all probably seen someone break the rules and touch the art. While I wouldn’t want people just pawing my work either, I do sympathize. I like finishing my map pieces with a thick coat of acrylic varnish, which gives them a good deal of protection. I also like to make some pieces that are just meant to be touched. One medium I haven’t used in a while is sandpaper. Not sandpaper as a tool, which I use at times, but sandpaper as part of the work.

This cold, gloomy winter weather is making me think about a winter trip to Death Valley. I usually go every year. The rocks, the layers, the canyons all inspire my work. I am ready for the big ride and a few days of taking photos to paint from.

No comments:

Post a Comment