Friday, January 21, 2011

January 21, 2001 - Postage Stamps





















Is it a map? You may see a collage of old stamps. I see an autobiographical map reflecting the countries I have visited and lived in, so far. So yes, it is a map. A map made of stamps. The patchwork of stamps and the curves and lines of postmarks even create an appearance of some exotic country.

Many of the stamps used were received attached to letters and cards. Mail from friends I made and family I visited in those different countries. Email may be quick, efficient and free. But it lacks the magic of opening the mailbox to see a card or letter covered with stamps from some distant place. A real piece if mail, in your hand, from far away, carries the energy of the sender in a way that no email really can. I continue to send and enjoy receiving good, old fashioned mail.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I love old stamps and maps as well. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete